Posted on June 24th, 2009
Not only meats and vegetables are preserved. Even eggs are also preserved. One way of doing it is by salting it (Itlog na Pula or Itlog na maalat) . Unlike those packed meals with sauces that are messy to prepare, salted eggs are different. Once salted, eggs are ready to be served and eaten with rice or even with breads. You can even have it with slices tomatoes mixed with the salted eggs. But you wouldnâ€™t like to eat it alone because it is too salty.
Salted eggs, red eggs or â€œitlog na pulaâ€ for others are more expensive than the ordinary raw eggs. Learning on how to prepare them will allow you to save some money. You can even get into this business because selling eggs are easily sold like hotcakes. Just make it sure that you will have a good quality salted eggs so that you will have more consumers. Avoid your product to be branded as â€œfakeâ€ where in some say it is salted egg but actually they are just boiled eggs colored with red to look like a salted egg.
In making salted egg, you will need the following ingredients:
â€¢ 1 dozen duck eggs (make sure it is duck egg not chicken egg for better result)
â€¢ 12 cups of water
â€¢ 6 cups of salt
Then follow this procedure:
1. Put 12 cups of water in a casserole.
2. Add the 6 cups of salt in it and then boil.
3. After boiling, let the mixture cool.
4. Get a wide mouth glass jar and place the 12 duck eggs in it.
5. Add the brine solution into the jar with eggs. You can use a plate to weigh down the eggs and prevent them from floating. You can also use a sealed plastic bag filled with the salt solution in replacement of a jar.
6. With a perforated paper, cover the mouth of jar. Then put the jar in a cool, dry place.
7. After 12 days, you can check 1 egg if it is already salty enough. If not, soak it for additional 5 days more.
8. If the eggs have achieved the desired saltiness, boil them for 10 minutes.
9. After boiling, the eggs are now ready. You may color the egg shells with red as people are more accustomed to salted eggs which are colored red.